Birkenhead men sentenced for street fist fight


Three men have pleaded guilty following a large scale fight in a residential road that saw one of the men drive his car through a fence.

Liverpool Crown Court heard that a fight broke out between Lee Burrows, Terrence Slemmen and Stephen Beattie in Prenton Hall Road in Birkenhead in April, last year.

Burrows, 38, of Caithness Gardens in Prenton Hall Road, and Beattie, 44, of Prenton Hall Road, pleaded guilty to affray.

Slemmen, 27, of Merlin Road, Birkenhead, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and damaging property.

Police were called to Prenton Hall Road around 3.40pm on 29 April after neighbours reported a large scale disturbance and a car crashing into a fence.

Police spoke to Beattie who admitted he'd had a fight with Slemmen, who Beattie said was his daughter's boyfriend. Beattie claimed Slemmen had threatened to attack him.

There was a CCTV camera at Beattie's house and the officer viewed the footage with Beattie and saw pictures of men fighting.

Beattie was arrested for affray. Police then spoke to neighbours who reported seeing Slemmen driving his car up to Beattie's house and remonstrating with him.

Slemmen then got out of the car and the two men start punching each other. Burrows, a neighbour of Beattie's, then also joined in the fight, attacking Slemmen.

Slemmen is then said to have got back into his car and driven away from the house, but then did a U turn and returned.

He was seen to drive his car towards Beattie who placed his hands on the bonnet and jumped backwards and the car smashed into the fence.

Slemmen then reversed the car and drove off. Slemmen and Burrows were arrested later and charged.

Beattie was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment, suspended for 2 years, given a 2 year supervision order and ordered to do 120 hours community work.

The offence also breached a suspended sentence that Beattie had already been given for another incident and he was ordered to observe a 6pm to 8am curfew for 3 months.

Burrows was sentenced to 10 months imprisonment, suspended for 2 years, given a 2 year supervision order and ordered to do 100 hours community work.

Slemmen was sentenced to 9 months imprisonment, suspended for 2 years and 1 month, given a 2 year supervision order, ordered to do 80 hours of community work, disqualified from driving for 2 years and ordered to do an extended retest.

Geoffrey Fryar, Senior District Crown Prosecutor with Mersey-Cheshire Crown Prosecution Service, said: "This was a disgraceful outburst of violence in broad daylight in full view of neighbours.

"It's clear several people were concerned for their own safety. The behaviour of all the men involved was disgraceful.

"Beattie appears to have been prompted by a misguided intention to protect his daughter. Burrows became involved in a fight that had nothing to do with him.

"Slemmen's decision to drive his car at Beattie was an act of revenge. Such behaviour is criminal and cannot be tolerated, all three defendants must now face the consequences."