Gun crime ruling "sends strong message", says top prosecutor 

08/02/2012

London's top prosecutor has welcomed the decision by the Court of Appeal to double the sentence of a man arrested in public with a loaded revolver following his prosecution by Southwark CPS.  

Alison Saunders, Chief Crown Prosecutor at CPS London, said those involved in gun crime should pay close attention to Friday's (3rd February) ruling, which meant Zephen Rollings will now serve a 10 year sentence after being found with the loaded weapon in July last year. He was originally sentenced to five years.

She said: "We referred this case to the Solicitor General as one that had attracted a sentence which was unduly lenient. I welcome the strong message that the Court of Appeal has now sent out as a result of this ruling. Gangs and individuals involved in gun crime need to be aware that there are strong penalties available to the court if they are successfully prosecuted for having a firearm in public with the intention of endangering life. The Crown Prosecution Service will continue to prosecute these individuals robustly. People who have loaded firearms in public places can expect double figure sentences."

Rollings was in a minicab in Brockley, South London on 6th July, 2011 when he was spotted by police officers. When he was searched he was found with a .357 Magnum calibre Smith and Wesson revolver loaded with ammunition which ‘mushrooms’ on impact commonly called "dum dum" bullets.

At Woolwich Crown Court on 9th September 2011 Rollings pleaded guilty to one count of possessing a prohibited weapon and one count of possessing prohibited ammunition. On 10th November 2011 Rollings pleaded guilty to a count of possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life or to enable another to do so. He was sentenced to five years on each count to run concurrently.

CPS London referred the sentence to the Solicitor General as potentially unduly lenient and he agreed that the sentence should be referred to the Court of Appeal.