CPS Advocate Panel application scheme
Update on the CPS Advocate Panel Scheme 2016-20 as at Friday 02 September 2016
Application and upgrade window open from 1st-30th September 2016
The CPS is now accepting applications from suitably qualified barristers and solicitors to join the new CPS Advocate Panel 2016-20 general crime list, as a permanent member at level 2, 3 or 4, or for existing members to upgrade their level, and to join the Rape and Child Sexual Abuse List. The application window will be open from Thursday 1st September to Friday 30th September 2016 inclusive.
Advocates from the current 2012-16 Panel who have accepted an invitation to join the new Panel do not need to apply, unless they wish to upgrade their level.
Advocates from the current 2012-16 Panel who have not been invited to join the new 2016-20 Panel, but wishing to retain their Panel membership, must re-apply, otherwise their current membership will cease at the end of 2016.
Advocates who have been invited onto the 2016-20 Panel can apply to upgrade to the next level up during September 2016. However, please note that only one unsuccessful application to join at or upgrade to level 2, 3 or 4 is permitted over a three year period. If they had previously applied to join at level 2, 3 or 4, or to upgrade from their current level during the Sept 2014 or Sept 2015 application windows, but were unsuccessful, they are not eligible to apply again during this window. This does not apply to previous unsuccessful level 1 applications.
Potential applicants are strongly advised to read Document 3: Application/upgrade process. Applications to upgrade should be submitted on Document 15: Upgrade Application Form and, where appropriate, Document 8 b): Rape list application form. All new applicants are requested to complete Document 9: Equalities Monitoring Questionnaire.
Applications to the Specialist Panels will not be accepted during this window, although there will be opportunities to apply in 2017.
It should be noted that applications to join the Panel at level 1 or to join the Rape List are accepted at any time during the year.
We would be grateful if all applications and any queries are directed to the Advocate Panel mailbox: Advocate.Panels@cps.gsi.gov.uk; however, if your query is urgent and you wish to speak to a member of the team, please contact Keith Milburn on 020 3357 0803 or Mohammed Sheikh on 020 3357 0798.
CPS Advocate Panel 2016-2020: Documentation
This pack contains:
- Document 1: Introduction – this document
- Document 2: Details of the 2016 Panel scheme (updated 10 May 2016)
- Document 3: Application/upgrade process
- Document 4: Advocate Panel Members' Commitment
- Document 5: Description of levels
- Document 6: Level 1
- Document 7: Levels 2, 3 and 4
- 7 a) Selection Criteria for Levels 2, 3 and 4
- 7 b) Application Form for Levels 2, 3 and 4
- 7 c) Reference Form for Levels 2, 3 and 4
- Document 8: Rape and Child Sexual Abuse List ('the Rape List')
- Document 9: Equalities Monitoring Questionnaire
- Document 10: Assessment Process
- Document 11: Assessment Monitoring form
- Document 12: Explanatory Note to Referees
- Document 13: Details of the Appeals Process
- Document 14: Appeal Form
- Document 15: Upgrade Application Form
- Document 16: Temporary Membership Application Form
- Document 17: Panel Invitation Response Form
Any queries or questions in relation to the scheme should be submitted by email to Advocate.Panels@cps.gsi.gov.uk
CPS Advocate Panel Scheme
Advocate Panel lists
Advocate Panel 2012-16 List
This is a list of all members of the current CPS Advocate Panel 2012-16 which will remain in place until the end of 2016. Advocates on this list are able to be instructed up to the end of the 2016 calendar year.
If you have received an invitation to join the new 2016-20 Panel, but do not accept it; or you do not submit a new substantive application during the Sept 2016 application window, your details will remain on this 2012-16 Panel list until the end of the 2016 calendar year, after which you will be removed from the Advocate Panel altogether.
Advocate Panel 2016-20 List
This is a list of all members of the new CPS Advocate Panel general crime and rape list 2016-20, who have been invited to join without further application (in accordance with the published transitional criteria), and have accepted their invitation.
To join the new 2016-20 Panel, members must either, where invited, accept their invitation correctly, or submit a new application during the Sept 2016 or subsequent application windows.
New applications to join the new 2016-20 Panel at level 2, 3 or 4, or to upgrade a level can be submitted between Thu 01/09/2016 and Fri 30/09/2016. Applications to join the new 2016-20 Panel at level 1 can be submitted at any time of year.
- Both the current and the new lists are periodically updated and posted on this webpage.
- Members of the new 2016-20 Panel list will also appear on the current 2012-16 Panel list until the end of the 2016 calendar year. Members (or their clerks) must check the new 2016-20 Panel list to confirm if their invitation acceptance has been processed.